All Mexico Info Group Oracle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Breakfast at Home

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Peter
Amigo
Peter

Humor : Ironic

Breakfast at Home - Page 2 Empty
PostBreakfast at Home

This morning I remembered to bring my camera to the breakfast table, something I am not in the habit of doing. This is a typical breakfast though some are more colorful at times, the only thing prompting me today was having my camera handy.

Here is a photo of huevos revueltos, tocino, grits, asparago, linaza wheat toast with mermalada de zarzamora, and melón con yógur y granola. Chile salsa is sprinkled on everthing as well, chili powder with lemon on the fruit.

Breakfast at Home - Page 2 Brkfst%20002

Tere calls this gringo-style for the grits and asparagus but sometimes she makes chilequiles or something more typically Mexican-style. Her own touches she gives French toast with crema and fruit is a bit fusion.

Last edited by Peter on Tue 22 Mar 2011, 16:51; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://amigo.forumotion.com/
Share this post on: reddit

Breakfast at Home :: Comments

Dave and Rosy
So we gotta be in Paradise South now...NO?
Post Sat 26 Mar 2011, 21:38 by Dave and Rosy
Looks like Heaven to me!

Breakfast at Home - Page 2 GRITS
Peter
Re: Breakfast at Home
Post Sat 26 Mar 2011, 23:56 by Peter
Dave and Rosy wrote:
Quote :
You be eatin´ grits with that breakfast

So where the heck in Michoacán can one purchase those good old US style grits?

And I delight in eatin' all I can whenever, wherever I can! But all mine are gone!...Woe and alas!

I wish I knew, Dave. With all the hominy-based foods eaten here in Mexico it would seem like grits would be a natural, but no. I buy mine in Ajijic at Superlake market every time I go there and that is my primary reason for going. Fortunately a small amount of grits go a long way so two boxes last us a long time.

Superlake stocks some items that cannot be found anywhere else in Mexico. Morelia is also of a sufficient size that there are a couple stores that carry some items we like to buy. Superama has our asparagus, breakfast sausage links, and italian sausages among other items. It is also very close to Club Campestre campo de golf where our expat club meets each month, so we are able to attract some of our members from out of town to come to our get-togethers with the promise of them soing some shopping at Superama.

We rather enjoy making our trips to Ajijic as well. For my wife Tere who has never been to the US she was pleasantly surprised to find there was a little American community three-hours away from us in her home country. We largely like to go there for the American-style restaurants whose foods she has really taken to. The kind of home-baked pies served in Paninno's restaurant are not to be found anywhere near here. She loves the American breakfasts served at a number of restaurants and was surprised by the custom of waiters walking about the restaurant floor refilling coffee cups. Poached eggs, biscuits and gravy, sausage pattys, french toast, etc., is a wonderland of flavors for her.

Bubba's Southern Grill with with BBQ pulled-pork sandwiches and artery-clogging chicken-fried steak in gravy with mased potatoes are other favorites. She really likes the monte cristo sandwich also and has tried many of these concoctions at home giving it her own touch as you may have seen in the photos of her french toast. Another Superlake staple we buy in Ajijic is Bisquick which we are out of now. Tere is a little lost about making biscuits from scratch but with Bisquick on-hand that is another regular breakfast item in our household, sadly missing from our current breakfast photos. We will be going there again soon hopefully just before or after Semana Santa. I'll get you a box of grits while we're there, Dave.
Dave and Rosy
Bisquick, Bisquits and Gravy, Grits, Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Post Sun 27 Mar 2011, 11:08 by Dave and Rosy
I am sitting here thinking I will need to buy substantially larger clothing once arrived in this culinary cloud nine!

As a matter of fact, I have an acquaintance from the North Pole... a story worthy of person to person over a tequila or cervesa... who lives in Ajijic at least winter months...

And please may the grits have Bisquick company? Freddie Bell and I one summer many many years ago lived on Bisquick ... another pass the tequila story...

And thank you in advance, muchas mil gracias...
Peter
Post Sun 27 Mar 2011, 13:48 by Peter
Dave and Rosy wrote:
I am sitting here thinking I will need to buy substantially larger clothing once arrived in this culinary cloud nine!

And please may the grits have Bisquick company? Freddie Bell and I one summer many many years ago lived on Bisquick ... another pass the tequila story...

The Costco in Morelia used to be my source for Bisquick but I haven't found any there in a long time now. I asked at the customer service desk about that. They looked it up on their computer and told me it is part of their inventory but didn't currently have any nor had any idea if and when they might have again. I keep looking.

Last edited by Peter on Sun 15 May 2011, 21:04; edited 1 time in total
Dave and Rosy
Bisquick
Post Sun 27 Mar 2011, 14:07 by Dave and Rosy
Hola Peter

We'll make a Costco run before coming over... I have NOT ever seen Bisquick here and IMO (reportedly not particularly humble?) Krusteaz just isn't...

If there's anything additional we can search for you whilst there...
Peter
Post Sun 27 Mar 2011, 16:25 by Peter
Dave and Rosy wrote:
Hola Peter

We'll make a Costco run before coming over... I have NOT ever seen Bisquick here and IMO (reportedly not particularly humble?) Krusteaz just isn't...

If there's anything additional we can search for you whilst there...

Thanks. I ask anyone going to Costco to let me know if they see any bisquick and I will run over and buy it all. I asked at Sam's Club, where I do more of my shopping than at Costco, if they would consider stocking Bisquick. They replied, "We already carry another brand of hot cake mix." I told them bisquick was not hot cake mix to which they answered with a shrug.

Sad to say, if a product does not have a lot of extra sugar added it appears they are reluctant to carry it here, and I am reluctant to buy the heavily sugared products. My favorite tastes are not all "sweet".

Not sure if I mentioned "morelia_amigos" yahoogroups site. It is another small board that I administer also but its focus is mainly for the expat club members around Morelia, though there are several Pátzcuaro members as well. It may be of some interest to you as we are putting things in high-gear this year and reviving some of our resources. It is a 30 year-old club (FWB/Amigos) in Morelia and our library and other things have been long neglected. We are reviving those things now and stepping-up activities.
Post  by Sponsored content

Breakfast at Home

Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2