All Mexico Info Group Oracle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Birria de Chivo in Tierra Caliente

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Amigo
Admin

Humor : Ironic

Birria de Chivo in Tierra Caliente Empty
PostBirria de Chivo in Tierra Caliente

My friends on the coast as well as the ones in Morelia say the best birria is to be found in tierra caliente regions. I would have to agree. Cuatro Caminos, the gateway into Apatzingán, has the best I've ever had anywhere. I have sampled - more than sampled, I indulged - the birria here in Morelia - where you are more likely to find it prepared with garbanzo beans, a nice touch, and at several places on the coast in Lázaro Cárdenas and in Guacamayas. Really, it's all good.

I couldn't tell you the name of the place but after you exit the autopista and come the kilometro up to the glorietta hand a right and it's near that corner. Best tortillas anywhere! Hot off the comal they just keep bringing them. They are likely to be sold out soon after noon, birria is a breakfast item here.

Every trip for the coast or tierra caliente I will leave out of Morelia early and look forward to stopping after about two hours into my journey for that excellent birria and those most excellent tortillas the likes of which I cannot find anywhere else. And it's just getting that time when the day is warming-up so a cervesa with that birria tops it off just right.

Cuatro Caminos is like a part of Nueva Italia and the offramp for this is the one for Apatzingán, You just have to try it sometime. There is no meal here I look forward to more.
Back to top Go down
https://amigo.forumotion.com
Share this post on: reddit

Birria de Chivo in Tierra Caliente :: Comments

Don Cuevas
Re: Birria de Chivo in Tierra Caliente
Post Mon 28 Feb 2011, 04:30 by Don Cuevas
I'm a big fan of the various styles of birria I've had, but although our bus, Pátzcuaro to Zihua stops at Cuatro Caminos, it's never long enough to try that species of birria. The birria in Pátzcuaro is variable, ranging from o.k. but fatty to pretty good, as at Birrería Don Prisci. In Morelia, we "discovered" "La Esquina del Borreguito, a place in a converted cochera of the family casa, at the corner of Antonio de Morral and Aristeo Mercado, one long block north of Av Solidaridad.Their birria is not, as we jokingly say, "revelatory" but is good, tender lamb (from Zirahúen, we were told) in a consomé that may be a bit more salty toward mid day than earlier. Prices are economical.
CanuckBob
Post Mon 28 Feb 2011, 19:23 by CanuckBob
I have heard the best birria is found in Jocotepec. We'll search it out if you make it up that way in April Peter.
Admin
Post Mon 28 Feb 2011, 19:58 by Admin
CanuckBob wrote:
I have heard the best birria is found in Jocotepec. We'll search it out if you make it up that way in April Peter.

Sounds like a plan! Birria de Chivo is a Jalisco thing, really, but some areas have their own styles. We'll see. I will make a special visit to Joco for that. Michoacán is a tequila state so we got the maguey also. Those tortillas at Cuatro Caminos alone will be tough to beat. No tacos, platillos is the way to enjoy it best, con cerveza.

Do you like pulque?
cheenagringo
Post Mon 28 Feb 2011, 20:28 by cheenagringo
In 10+ years of traveling to Mexico, I embarrassed to say that I never tried Birria in any form. On our last trip, I saw it on the menu and said: "what the heck". Don't remember exactly where I took the leap but won't be ignoring it any more. Then again, it took me 7 years to order Arrachera and I have been hooked ever since!

As a matter of fact, we had home grilled Arrachera last night since all these fools in New Mexico have not discovered this fine dining experience. After a great deal of recipe tweaking and experimenting with various cuts of beef, we now have it down pat. Just as tender as can be with a super flavor. Arrachera, Mexican rice and guacamole is a dinner that cannot be beat!
Peter
Post Mon 28 Feb 2011, 20:48 by Peter
Birria de chivo or barbacoa de res both have the similar serving traditions, i.e., they both are brought out in big stockpots in the morning and served until it runs out which on a typical day is after noon, so it is a breakfast sort of affair.

They are sold in platillos or tacos, platillos being a bowl of the meat and consumé with chopped onion and cilantro to sprinkle on, and of course some sort of salsa to kick it up a notch. Along with that you are brought tortillas fresh off the comal with more being made and served while you eat.

If you do not arrive early enough for a platillo they may be down to tacos only. I'll pass, solo platillo. No other way. Con cerveza.

If the restaurant serves much other than that then except under extraordinary circumstances you would just not be getting the good stuff. The one thing they will ask is, maciza or surtido? Lean muscle meat or assorted? Many folks direct from the US will prefer maciza but after a time of eating lean Mexican meat one develops a craving for more fat, gristle, and whatever assorted parts surface. I take mine surtido these days.
cheenagringo
Post Mon 28 Feb 2011, 21:01 by cheenagringo
My only experience was with the Birria being served in a bowl, with a salad and some great tortillas. As a total neophyte, I have no idea what style it was BUT I will be trying it again on future trips. Don't think that I would order it for dinner but it makes a great lunch!

And to think that we drove by all of those Birria restaurants along the Guadalajara-Chapala highway for years without stopping!
CanuckBob
Post Mon 28 Feb 2011, 21:32 by CanuckBob
Admin wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:

Sounds like a plan! Birria de Chivo is a Jalisco thing, really, but some areas have their own styles. We'll see. I will make a special visit to Joco for that. Michoacán is a tequila state so we got the maguey also. Those tortillas at Cuatro Caminos alone will be tough to beat. No tacos, platillos is the way to enjoy it best, con cerveza.

Do you like pulque?

I haven't had the pleasure yet. Is it drank straight up?

Birria de Chivo in Tierra Caliente

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All Mexico Info Group Oracle :: Public Forum/Informational Topics :: La Comida-
Jump to: