Disclaimer: I have never actually made this recipe, but it comes from a very reliable source, the book, "Better Than Store Bought", by Helen Witty and Elizabeth Schneider Colchie. Harper and Row Publishers, © 1979.
4 1/2 cups of flour
5 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
3 tbsps unsalted butter, cut into tiny pieces
1. In a bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the shortening and butter. Blend with your fingertips, a pastry blender, or an electric mxer until the fat particles are no longer visible.
2. Divide the mixture evenly among 3 airtight containers. Close and refrigerat for up to a month.
To make Biscuits:
1 batch (scant 2 cups) Biscuit Mix
2/3 cup of milk
1. Preheat the oven to 475º F or 246 º Celsius.
2. Pour the mix into a bowl and make a well in the center. Pour in the milk and blend, quickly stirring from the center outward, just until there are no dry bits of mix remaining.
3. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface, then pat or roll it out to form a sheet about 1/2 inch thick. With a 2 inch biscuit cutter, cut out circles an place them on an ungreased baking sheet. Roll out the scraps and cut more biscuits ntil all the dough is used up.
4. Place the baking sheet in the oven; turn the temp to 425º F. Bake the biscuits for 12 to 15 minutes, until they are very lightly browned. Serve immediately
Proximamemte: Breakfast Sausage and sausage gravy from scratch.
Advanced Lesson: Angel Buttermilk Biscuits, with 2 leaveners.