All Mexico Info Group Oracle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Best Mayo in Mexico, Bisquick, Grits, and Chili

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Peter
Amigo
Peter

Humor : Ironic

The Best Mayo in Mexico, Bisquick, Grits, and Chili - Page 2 Empty
PostThe Best Mayo in Mexico, Bisquick, Grits, and Chili

Sauer's is the best tasting mayo here but it's not available everywhere. I've never seen that brand in the US but Best Foods was always the best. When you find Hellman's or Best Foods it is not the same taste, something about the flavor is familiar but it falls way short. I'm told you can get the American-made Best Foods at Costco but I don't think I've tried it from there so couldn't say with certainty.

At Sam's Club you can find Sauer's mayo and it has the flavor you know, if you were a consumer of Best Foods on the other side. Costco does not carry it, and so for mostly that reason I am a customer of Sam's. They also have their store brand Golden Hills instant coffee that is quite like Taster's Choice but at a much better price. I also like their non-dairy creamer there. Those are several reasons I shop at Sam's.

One thing I have found at Costco was Bisquick in restaurant-sized boxes. That seems a thing of the past though, they haven't had any for quite awhile. I asked the customer service desk about it. They found it on the computer but just gave a shrug about getting any more any time. I asked Sam's if they would get Bisquick but they told me they carried a different brand of "hotcake mix". I told them it was not for hotcakes but their reply was a shrug. It did no good to tell them Costco carried it.

The place that has Sauer's mayo and Bisquick both is Superlake in Ajijic, Jalisco. We make periodic trips there, maybe three times a year, so stock-up on those things. Also at Superlake is grits. They have Alber's, Quaker, and the packets of Quaker instant grits for a quickie grits fix. You can find many items at Superlake that can't be found anywhere else in Mexico. Ever looked for a can of Dennison's Chili here?
Back to top Go down
https://amigo.forumotion.com/
Share this post on: reddit

The Best Mayo in Mexico, Bisquick, Grits, and Chili :: Comments

Hound Dog wrote:
Peter wrote:
cheenagringo wrote:
All that for an explanation on horseradish?

Our vegetables are not all pre-washed.

Dawg is reminded of a point in time when a certain Michoacan food expert (now living in Mexico City) was shopping with him in the wild-assed indigenous market in San Cristóbal de Las Casas when she exclaimed, upon observing the potatoes offered there for sale;

"But, but, these potatoes are encrusted with dirt!"

Ah yes, our indigenous friends cannot be depended upon to meticulously scrub all the soil from Mother Earth´s bounty but, nevertheless, the potatoes offered up that day in the market were still quite tasty.

I know some folks don't like to picture their food in its previous form. Some folks will lose their appetite if they think of their steak walking around on all-fours a few weeks earlier. Following that logic I guess one must account for those who would be put off their fries if they were to envision that potato buried in a mound of dirt. I guess for those it is much more palatable if their food was known to be prepared by a highly-trained chef with the appropriate titles and proper accolades - even if it requires bestowing them upon those themselves.
Don... Were you by chance quoting a Peter, Paul & Mary tune?
Hound Dog
Re: The Best Mayo in Mexico, Bisquick, Grits, and Chili
Post Thu 17 Mar 2011, 11:46 by Hound Dog
Peter wrote:
...(Perhaps the food) is much more palatable if their food was known to be prepared by a highly-trained chef with the appropriate titles and proper accolades - even if it requires bestowing them upon those themselves.

Including but not limited to top Chinese sous chef in Harlingen, TX and, as we all know, it takes a highly skilled slicer and dicer to make it in a Chinese kitchen in Harlingen or was it Brownsville?

The Best Mayo in Mexico, Bisquick, Grits, and Chili

Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2