All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

New Stove for the New Kitchen

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Peter
Amigo

Humor : Ironic

PostNew Stove for the New Kitchen

Just after breakfast in Pátzcuaro this morning Tere and I stopped into a new restaurant supply store on the pereférico in our area. We found the stove we wanted and paid half down until we finish painting the kitchen and will pick up the stove next week when it's done. Actually, we won't be able to "pick it up" because it weighs 261 Kgs. We'll pay the rest and have it delivered - only about three blocks away.

For the difference in price and despite it takes up more room we decided to get the universal model that does it all - 4 burners, parilla, plancha, freidora, gratinador, and large oven. It is the Drago model here but without the high back. This ought to do it.

http://amigo.foroactivo.mx/
Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

New Stove for the New Kitchen :: Comments

Re: New Stove for the New Kitchen
Post on Wed 09 Mar 2011, 03:42 by Don Cuevas
¡Felicidades! I'll be looking forward to seeing it when it's installed, and maybe, si me permites, light up a burner or two.

Wow! (Just saw the pics and the specs.) That's some serious stove. Will you put in a built-in extinguisher system and a venti-hood?

Quote :
Resistencia de 3000 Watts de potencia para rápida recuperación,
Wait a minute! This is an electrically powered range? Won't that result in very high CFE "cuentas de luz"?

Last edited by Don Cuevas on Wed 09 Mar 2011, 03:49; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Saw pics and specs. Gasped over the electric power.)
Post on Wed 09 Mar 2011, 06:13 by Peter
Don Cuevas wrote:
¡Felicidades! I'll be looking forward to seeing it when it's installed, and maybe, si me permites, light up a burner or two.

Wow! (Just saw the pics and the specs.) That's some serious stove. Will you put in a built-in extinguisher system and a venti-hood?

Quote :
Resistencia de 3000 Watts de potencia para rápida recuperación,
Wait a minute! This is an electrically powered range? Won't that result in very high CFE "cuentas de luz"?

No, it's gas. Seemed a little odd to me too.
Post on Wed 09 Mar 2011, 07:44 by Don Cuevas
Good to know that it's gas. Maybe they were expressing the gas BTUs in watts.
Post on Wed 09 Mar 2011, 08:39 by Peter
Don Cuevas wrote:
Good to know that it's gas. Maybe they were expressing the gas BTUs in watts.

I'm not surprised when they do things differently here like that. I've gotten kind of used to surprises. Though it's possible to cook with electricity it's just not how I would prefer to do it given any choice in the matter.

To start out with I probably won't have a hood or any safety devices. That may all come later but until then I won't be unlike most kitchens here not having those. I'll just fine-tune as I go along.
Post on Wed 09 Mar 2011, 10:05 by Guest
My LORD, that's a STOVE! affraid You guys must do some pretty serious cooking! Our new stove is still sitting in our living room waiting for a kitchen... Ahhh.... Gotta love living in the land of mañana!
Post on Wed 09 Mar 2011, 12:56 by Peter
Phil Micheal wrote:
My LORD, that's a STOVE! affraid You guys must do some pretty serious cooking! Our new stove is still sitting in our living room waiting for a kitchen... Ahhh.... Gotta love living in the land of mañana!

Anything I can do to make Tere happy about being in the kitchen is worth doing. We are both good cooks and enjoy experimenting around with food ideas, sometimes getting creative in the process. It is a hobbie we both enjoy. I like cooking for Tere but she always beats me to the kitchen while I am working on other projects. We may have to fight over the new stove but it appears big enough for us both to have a hand in the preparations.

We expect to have some fiestas for our Amigos here once we get the place set and prettied-up. It looks like we will have an easy time keeping botanas coming for our guests. The new stove should accomodate just about anything we want to cook up.
Post on Wed 09 Mar 2011, 13:17 by Guest
Nano is a great cook, too! We both enjoy cooking, but are in no hurry to fight over the space as it is... We have been happily bumping along with a mish-mash of old kitchen pieces (cuboard/counter piece, large home depot cabinet, stand w had made to hold a REAL sink, a few tables a large metal shelf unit, a dinky stove, and new fridge) since moving in here a little over 3 years ago. Finally we made the LAST set of changes with the architect for a REAL kitchen yesterday. We should have the final plans and estimate sometime Saturday. Then it will be a matter of 3 weeks... And you know... It won't even matter if they are "semanas Mexicanas"... I think the 4 of us should get together sometime and just cook!
Post on Wed 06 Apr 2011, 21:43 by Peter
It has taken about a month but the stove is finally here. I don't have it completely uncrated yet and now that it has arrived I can finish planning and building the rest of the kitchen. That whole project could take a couple more weeks or so but I expect I will have the stove fired-up tomorrow or by the end of the week. A little test run will help me plan the rest of the kitchen.

This one has a plancha/griddle twice the size of my old Viking stove, plus it has a gas-fired deep-fryer.

I am pretty sure it could handle two turkeys. The oven is the width of the 4-burner set plus the char-grill. Plus there ia gratinador/broiler under the plancha. Camera distortion make it look smaller but this sucker is 6 feet long.

There are several good brands of industrial-quality stoves. Born in the Year of the Dragon I thought Drago brand appropriate.
Post on Thu 07 Apr 2011, 05:48 by Don Cuevas
Don Cuevas lights up with admiration and ENVY.

So; what becomes of your old Viking stove?
Post on Thu 07 Apr 2011, 07:31 by Peter
Don Cuevas wrote:
Don Cuevas lights up with admiration and ENVY.

So; what becomes of your old Viking stove?

It stayed with the house I sold in California, a built-in 48" stovetop.
Post on Thu 07 Apr 2011, 09:36 by JimRP
¡Híjoles! What a magnificent cooking machine, Peter. Congratulations. Like Don Cuevas, I'm envious.

Jim
Post on Thu 07 Apr 2011, 13:39 by Peter
JimRP wrote:
¡Híjoles! What a magnificent cooking machine, Peter. Congratulations. Like Don Cuevas, I'm envious.
Jim

It is indeed nice to be back in the main house again. Major contruction is done and now a matter of finishing everything. There remain thoughts about where to install the salamandra I bought from Dawg. We've been getting some use from it in its makeshift location on the ground floor patio.

Thoughts about mounting on the wall by the stove, or maybe above a worktable behind it where I roll dough or make pasta.

Here is the second-level patio and entry into my personal quarters. My quarters below it. Idea is to leave natural brick rustic look.

My lavabo is kind of the centerpiece to the room. Unusual perhaps? Mirror and water feature in the entry makes good Feng Shui, right?

We just got the doors and caracol stairway put up on the third deck. The stair tower is combined into the wahsroom with the caracol going up to a fourth-level mirador.

Looking down from there into the unfinished garden and the kitchen entrance on the ground floor, my quarters and a piece of the patio deck on the second-level. You can also see part of my neighbor's junkpile on his roof. Then a bit of the view from the mirador on a hazy day looking toward the Catedral, too hazy to see much of Altozano.

The house from the street. This part was built about five years ago, the cochera and front apartment with terraza. I lived there until almost two years ago when the rest of the construction was started. George occupies that apartment now and during the construction as engineer. George's Vocho out front.

Last edited by Peter on Thu 07 Apr 2011, 19:11; edited 2 times in total
Post on Thu 07 Apr 2011, 14:08 by JimRP
Looks like you'll have a fine palace when you are done, Pete! I can also see that you have a fair amount of "minor" construction still ahead of you. That is much easier, but I bet you'll be glad when the workers are finally out of your house.

Post on Thu 07 Apr 2011, 17:06 by Peter
There are no more workers per se, I believe with the security door and the caracol stairs that was the last of any contractor to have to come for anything. George and abuelo from up the street do all the "small" things. That kitchen counter next to the stove was their handiwork.

Most of it will have an unfinished look and appear rustic. The bricks and cement you see in my quarters have all been sealed with a thick clear coat and have a smooth feel. Most everything you see is pretty much finished, though I still have many light fixtures dangling yet. I am still deciding which ones I will trade-out for ceiling fans so those danglers can keep dangling for awhile. In this photo of the lavabo you can see how the bricks are actually finished. The counter it sets on is also George's handiwork. Wish I had cleaned everything a bit and prettied it up for the picture but... así es.

One of the last big projects is to build the cabinets for the kitchen - open cabinets, I don't want doors getting in the way. After that it is on to the garden and a small fountain of cantera as a center-piece. Not much left and no hurry.

EDIT to ADD: I see I had a photo repeated and another left out in the above shots of the house. I added in the caracol where it belonged. That is the stair tower and wash house with the caracol going up to the tinaco and mirador.
Post on Fri 08 Apr 2011, 14:09 by cheenagringo
Peter:

When you get all of that cooking equipment in place and hooked up, you will have quite the kitchen! I am envious.
Peter wrote:
It has taken about a month but the stove is finally here. I don't have it completely uncrated yet and now that it has arrived I can finish planning and building the rest of the kitchen. That whole project could take a couple more weeks or so but I expect I will have the stove fired-up tomorrow or by the end of the week. A little test run will help me plan the rest of the kitchen.

This one has a plancha/griddle twice the size of my old Viking stove, plus it has a gas-fired deep-fryer.

I am pretty sure it could handle two turkeys. The oven is the width of the 4-burner set plus the char-grill. Plus there ia gratinador/broiler under the plancha. Camera distortion make it look smaller but this sucker is 6 feet long.

There are several good brands of industrial-quality stoves. Born in the Year of the Dragon I thought Drago brand appropriate.
Post on Tue 12 Apr 2011, 05:11 by Peter
My wife and I like to cook and experiment plus we like to entertain guests. We expect to host some expat events in the coming months so this will help us keep the botanas coming.

It really is overkill though. We wanted a nice commercial stove with a couple extra features like the large plancha (griddle) and such. After shopping around and looking at the various stoves we found the prices were such that it was little more to have all the features, the only thing being space considerations. We had the room to be somewhat flexible in that regard but after adding this monster stove we no longer have a large kitchen, but we do have full capability now.

It was difficult to get a really good idea just how we would configure things ahead of time. Finally having the stove in-place let us see how things would have to work out and we did have to make some adjustments to our original ideas. We can go ahead with building our cabinets and things now. Our plans for those just got off the drawing board and we can start the construction. I expect in a week we will be ready to begin using this full time. Fortunately our two-house compound already has two other kitchens but this one will be the grand-daddy of them all. In all likelihood it may not turn out to be the main kitchen that sees the most daily use but it will be the one for large projects and entertaining. And because of the layout of things it will likely also become my own personal workshop and funhouse.
Post  by Sponsored content

New Stove for the New Kitchen

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All Mexico Info Group Oracle :: Public Forum/Informational Topics :: La Comida-
Jump to: