All Mexico Info Group Oracle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Happy Birthday AMIGO Board!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Peter
Amigo
Peter

Humor : Ironic

Happy Birthday AMIGO Board! Empty
PostSubject: Happy Birthday AMIGO Board!   Happy Birthday AMIGO Board! EmptyThu 23 Feb 2012, 19:17

It has been a year now since this board first went up on the net. We, all of us involved with this group, are still alive and well and most of us living here in Mexico very cheerfully and happily.

Right at this we all appear to be very busy with our personal projects. I am involved daily with remodelling our new casita. The only downside to this is that this board seems to be at a temporary standstill. As I say though, this is temporary and we expect to be bouncing back by this Spring with more to post about. Until then we can hope some of our international readers and guests will register here with AMIGO and give us some more material to read or give us question to answer. Still, there is a lot of material printed here, with photos, for our guests to explore.

Although our membership and readership reaches throughout Mexico, and indeed the world, part of our core is located in Morelia, Michoacán. Just a week or so back we experienced some unusual rainy, drizzly weather for a couple weeks, not usual for this time of year for us. The skies have mostly cleared-up now and the weather appears to be warming for Primavera, Spring, which is our hottest time of year. I think most of us prefer the hot over the cold weather so this is good news, though this was really not too cold of a winter here in the central highlands this year. So, Spring is welcome to arrive any time it cares to.

Our Morelia expat groups Friends Without Borders and the Amigos group have been experiencing good membership turnout at their get-togethers and seeing new members and guest joining us each time. This time of year we also welcome our snowbird members that live in Canada most of the year that come to spend a few months with us. We're always happy to see them and have a chance to chat every 2nd Wednesday at 3pm for 2 hours or so at Club Campestre in Morelia each month, sad though that it was during that drizzly period earlier in the month so we had to meet indoors at the Club Campestre restaurant rather than our preferred spot out on the patio - which, by the way, was my own birthday and I ended up picking up the tab for all our drinks and had the waiters bring us plenty of snacks, tacos, sopas, and such to our tables. I didn't take a head count but estimate there were 15 or more of our Friends and Amigos getting together - not bad for a rainy day. Sorry if you missed it!

Oh well, very soon we'll get this board back in-gear with more topics and posts, and of course more photos. During this lull I've been giving thought for new projects and photo topics to cover here. The good news is we all have been busy with having fun and pursuing our personal projects, we're just under-the-radar at the moment is all. Happy Birthday AMIGO board!
Back to top Go down
https://amigo.forumotion.com/
Hound Dog
Amigo
Hound Dog

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday AMIGO Board!   Happy Birthday AMIGO Board! EmptyMon 05 Mar 2012, 16:59

Peter wrote:
It has been a year now since this board first went up on the net. We, all of us involved with this group, are still alive and well and most of us living here in Mexico very cheerfully and happily. ...

Right at this we all appear to be very busy with our personal projects. I am involved daily with remodelling our new casita. The only downside to this is that this board seems to be at a temporary standstill. ...

Oh well, very soon we'll get this board back in-gear with more topics and posts, and of course more photos. During this lull I've been giving thought for new projects and photo topics to cover here. The good news is we all have been busy with having fun and pursuing our personal projects, we're just under-the-radar at the moment is all. Happy Birthday AMIGO board!

Peter:
Dawg is pleased to hear that you will soon be back among the living after your own personal project and plan steps to add/revise topics and post more photos. Dawg is still on board although our plans to be in Chiapas and positng commentary from there have been thwarted by some temporary personal problems which should be resolved by June.We will not be able to make it down to Chiapas until December but December should be a big month in Chiapas what with the Maya end-of-calendar cycle some predict as Earth´s last days. Your faithful Chiapas correspondent, Dawg, will be there to report right up until the end of time on or about Deceber 21st. Maybe even later just in case the Maya were only kidding.
Back to top Go down
JimRP
Amigo
JimRP

Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : Oblique

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday AMIGO Board!   Happy Birthday AMIGO Board! EmptyMon 05 Mar 2012, 21:21

Hey, Dawg....

Nice to see you posting here again. I think we've all taken a bit of a vacation. Linda and I will be spending the month of August in Oaxaca. Don't know if your plans may take you and Dawgette there at that time, but if so, perhaps we could hook up there.

In any case, I'm glad to know we have a reporter for the days AFTER the Mayan calendar has expired, though chances are life as we know it will cease to exist.... Wink

Back to top Go down
Hound Dog
Amigo
Hound Dog

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday AMIGO Board!   Happy Birthday AMIGO Board! EmptyThu 08 Mar 2012, 16:16

JimRP wrote:
Hey, Dawg....

Nice to see you posting here again. I think we've all taken a bit of a vacation. Linda and I will be spending the month of August in Oaxaca. Don't know if your plans may take you and Dawgette there at that time, but if so, perhaps we could hook up there.

In any case, I'm glad to know we have a reporter for the days AFTER the Mayan calendar has expired, though chances are life as we know it will cease to exist.... Wink

No, Jim we willl not be back in Oaxaca until our return to Southern Mexico in December to help usher out God´s failed experiment. That would be the God in charge of making such decisions as defined by the Maya. We will, of course, head over to Oaxaca from Chiapas some time next winter for our obligatory minimum annual visit. We skipped Chiapas this winter because Dawgette had her purse stolen which contained her passport, inmigrado card, driver´s license and INAPAM card and, while we can get away without those vital documents while hanging around Ajijic, Chiapas and Oaxaca are not good places in which to be driving around without one´s proper papers what with the myriad random highway checkpoints run by really serious dudes strewn along the way.

We are soon to be off to France to participate in Dawgette´s mother´s 90th birthday celebration and were speaking with her the other day about the festivities to take place in the Loire Valley where she lives. Dawgette mentioned to her mother that Dawg was feeling somewhat decrepit having just celebrated (commemorated, actually) my 70th birthday and she said that I should not worry as one only really begins to feel old and tired after 85. Boy, that´s a relief.

After our return to Lake Chapala from France in late June, I hope to start posting more hereabouts and presume you and Peter will be posting prolifically by then. Unfortunately, my byline will be Ajijic and not San Cristóbal de Las Casas. Come December, however, look for dispatches from the trenches on the front line in Chiapas among the Maya from your faithful correspondent reporting first hand on the demise of the planet in between sips of fine sparkling wines.
Back to top Go down
Peter
Amigo
Peter

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday AMIGO Board!   Happy Birthday AMIGO Board! EmptySun 11 Mar 2012, 16:28

Hi there. Glad to see you guyz still dropping by and adding a line or two to the dialog. Obviously I am on sort of a sabbatical for awhile until I get that house remodelled. This is part your fault, Dawg, for having such a nice garden setting at your Lakeside home. Tere wants the same sort of effect for our home. This little casita has a nice garden started but the home itself needed quite a bit of upgrading, and too bad we have to lose a little garden area to add the new baños, wash house, and covered patio - even a little penthouse to top all that off. I may need another vacation after my vacation but I promise I will be back with some enhancements for this board. Until then I will just pop in an interesting news item now and then or something of interest when it arises.

Isn't this rather strange weather we've been having this year? It is mild enough, never got too cold for too long this winter, and now it is warming up - really warming up - but this season has been interspersed with rain showers which is unusual for this time of year in Morelia. I think it might not be unusual for Pátzcuaro or Santa Clara del Cobre to have these showers but it is very unusual for Morelia. How about Lakeside, Dawg, unusual there too? Or is it just unusual you're cooling it in Jalisco instead of Chiapas and probably don't even realize if it's unusual weather this season?

Good to see you're still here. I see we still have a lot of guest readers and hopefully there is plenty already posted to keep them entertained until we all get back on board and get underway again. See you all soon. -Peter

Back to top Go down
JimRP
Amigo
JimRP

Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : Oblique

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday AMIGO Board!   Happy Birthday AMIGO Board! EmptySun 11 Mar 2012, 17:12

Hi guys,

Pete--I can't wait to see the results of this Hurculean remodeling effort. As for the weather, we just had one of the loudest thunder storms since coming to Mexico. Yeah--I don't think this is supposed to be happening now. I'll see you Wednesday!

Dawg, whadda drag about Dawgette's purse. That is one of the most inconvenient things that can happen to a person, what with replacing all the documents, credit cards, etc.

I just turned 68. It is good to know we have until 85 before it really gets bad. In the mean time, let's have some fun and cause some trouble!

Saludos a Dawgette, and have a great trip to France!
Back to top Go down
Peter
Amigo
Peter

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday AMIGO Board!   Happy Birthday AMIGO Board! EmptySun 11 Mar 2012, 18:14

The Hurculean effort was all the subterranean work, and the rest is no minimal task either. We had to excavate over two meters depth for the aljibe, which is located under the patio. There were several new feet, "patas", that are down around a meter to meter-and-a-half depth, and the trenching for the "traves", everything of steel and concrete. This is the part you don't see and that is all done now and the rest goes much quicker. We are ready within a week to pour the "losa" and begin finishing up the driveway and walkways - what isn't garden will be concrete.

We'll do some extra-curricular club event here when it's presentable, perhaps a pizza event to use the leña-fired oven. No time real soon but expectedly before the end-of-the-world. It's coming up on three months since we started this project. A couple months more should have the final touches in-place.
Back to top Go down
Hound Dog
Amigo
Hound Dog

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday AMIGO Board!   Happy Birthday AMIGO Board! EmptyThu 15 Mar 2012, 10:09

While you are right, Pete, that we are normally in Chiapas at this time of year at least since 2007, I can attest that the weather here at Lakeside has been very unusual for the winter including heavy rains and thunderstorms for a few days followed by an early heat wave which, despite any ramifications that may have for the planet´s future, has been a Godsend for Dawg. My sources in San Cristóbal tell me they are having a heat wave there as well with March temperatures approaching the 90s Fahrenheit. The San Cristóbal heat wave is particularly welcome after an unusually rainy and chilly fall and winter. The problem in San Cristóbal at 7,000 feet and with moist air often drifting in from the Gulf, is that when it clouds up it becomes chillly and moist. When the sun is out at that altitude it is, of course, truly splendid but if Dawg wanted unpredictable changes in weather, I would have stayed in Alabama. The beauty of the Lake Chapala area is consistent fabulous weather and the propensity to rain primarily at night whereas, in San Cristóbal, the inundations commence at abot 2:00PM and one can predict the daily flood.

JimRP & Dawg look forward to your return and inspired leadership, Peter. Your lapse of attention to your duties here will be forgiven if you return on the run.
Back to top Go down
Peter
Amigo
Peter

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday AMIGO Board!   Happy Birthday AMIGO Board! EmptyFri 06 Apr 2012, 22:24

Well Dawg, the unusual weather has not seemed to change much as we are still getting periodic rain here in Spring, which is very unusual. The good thing about that is that it has mostly been a bit cooler for it.

The past couple days the wind has been kicking up but without producing rain. Some were describing what we had sweep through our colonia today as a micro-tornado. My new house project is still on-going.

I had promised my friends/neighbors/workers (a 3-man crew) a paid day-off for Good Friday but they all chose that they'd rather work instead. In that case I told them I would pay them a bonus but about mid-day the wind got wild for just a few moments and blew off a sheet of lamina over a patio that we kept partially loose for easy access while still working. The rest was well-fixed and actually raised the whole metal structure which was only partly secured to the floor. These lamina pieces are the most expensive, heavy, and have a life expectancy of 30 years. I believe the brand name is Ondulina or something close to that. I must say they are very strong - if bolted down OK.

Where we were working was putting up the wall for an upstairs baño for another patio area. One brick wall had been built today from mid-height up to its top point when the wind came up. At that time it had just been finished to that point and the crew was taking a break. The wind knocked the newly constructed part down in one huge gust. Of course the lower portion that was put up earlier in the week and mortar was dried was all left standing OK.

It might appear other-worldly forces were telling us not to work. Hey, it wasn't my idea, I was going to give them a paid holiday but they insisted on keeping at it. The rest of the afternoon was spent getting things somewhat back in place again - only this time it was decided to not go the full height, just in case of more wind. There was already mortar mixed that had to be used so work went on for the rest of the day.

I expect it will rain very soon. It is not on our schedule to replace that piece of lamina that blew down, though we do have a couple extra sheets left that we can put up to replace it it's just not a priority. But with that open hole left there for now I do expect more rain to come just to create a slight mess.

Maybe you can offer some insight on something unusual I've been seeing recently. I notice in the news there are a whole slew of bankers around the world that are resigning over the past month or so, a whole lot more than is usual. I'm not sure what this indicates, coincidence perhaps or maybe expecting another 2008 but this time on steroids. I have been hearing rumors about some almost secret arrests of some very high-up players but no real confirmation of any of that. Maybe this bunch is trying to get a running start on a clean getaway.

Hope all is well with you, Dawg. Most of us by this time have been here for awhile now and got out of that madhouse up north well ahead of the problems they've been having up there. I hear gasoline is getting very expensive nowadays. I think it's only a matter of time until the gringos are the ones trying to cross the Rio Grande heading this direction. There goes our neighborhoods.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Happy Birthday AMIGO Board!   Happy Birthday AMIGO Board! Empty

Back to top Go down

Happy Birthday AMIGO Board!
Page 1 of 1