All Mexico Info Group Oracle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Louisiana - 2011

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Hound Dog
Amigo
Hound Dog

Louisiana - 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Louisiana - 2011   Louisiana - 2011 EmptySat 03 Sep 2011, 10:18

What has happened down here is the wind have changed,
Clouds roll in from the south and it start to rain,
Rained real hard and rained for a long, long time,
Six feet of water in the streets of Evangeline,
President Coolidge come down on a railroad train,
With a little fat man with a notebook in his hand,
President say, "Little fat man ain´t it a shame, what the river has done to this poor cracker´s land."

Dawg´s thanks to Randy Newman, Louisiana - 1927.

Just think. In 2001, an old friend with whom I went to high school in Alabama, upon hearing that I was planning to retire to Mexico, called me and exclaimed,"Are you nuts? Why don´t you retire to New Orleans like I plan to do. In Mexico, they´ll cut off your head and you don´t speak Spanish."

I told him that it seemed to me that the loss of a head and the inability to communicate in Spanish were self-cancelling problems. After Katrina, he left New Orleans´ Garden District, where he and his affluent neighbors had to employ full time armed guards to patrol the streets to protect them and those fine mansions, and moved to the coastal village of Bon Secour, Alabama on Mobile Bay - a town the Mexicans would describe as "tranquilo". Dawg is still in Mexico living at Lake Chapala and in the Chiapas Highlands´ Zapatista infested town of San Cristóbal de Las Casas, my Spanish has markedly improved and my head is still intact. That ole boy´s fancy Garden District house now belongs to some other sucker and today he´s expecting about 20 inches of rain delivered in almost solid horizontal sheets as is not uncommon on the Gulf Coast up there. Guess I screwed up.

Last edited by Hound Dog on Sat 03 Sep 2011, 13:08; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Peter
Amigo
Peter

Humor : Ironic

Louisiana - 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Louisiana - 2011   Louisiana - 2011 EmptySat 03 Sep 2011, 11:04

You screwed up, Dawg, as did we all who blew-off our friends'advice and chose this gawdforsaken Mexican hellhole and thought we could maybe call it home. I know the better now. I just bought another slice of paradise a couple weeks ago, another home just halfway up the next block over on my street here in El Charco. Tere loves the new place with its tiny house and large garden with mature trees, bamboo, and ornamentals. She says it reminds her of your home in Ajijic. Now she wants me to build a gazebo/kiosk like yours. Thank goodness she hasn't asked for a pool too.

El charco, that's the colonia name on my carta de posesión for the house, and Lago III that the rest of the townsfolk know as the colonia name was written in parenthesis after El Charco. Charco generally refers to a mud puddle and somewhere down the road there must be one of those but we are at the foot of Cerro Quinceo and the street has a decided slope with all the rain water rushing down to the rio and maybe settling into some low spots. Here we don't have the low spots and you can see from this site's logo photo at the top of each page that photo was taken from my upper deck and has a good bit of height. No flooding here.

Wouldn't you be missing that New Orleans and Alabama weather about now Dawg? Besides for the rain wouldn't the outdoor temperature be somewhat like a steam bath? You have to pay something here for the luxury of using a steambath and there it is free, everyday. I believe the rain you speak of, perhaps when not coming down in sheets but perhaps then even so, that's like a nice warm shower, no?

Home? Well I call it home but it really more like a vacation resort that I came to full-time after retiring. And now that I am not working any longer I don't have to rush back and leave this resort. My final year on the job I had the chore of burning away super-accumulated vacation time that those of us working on that California island were allowed a waiver to stockpile. In that year I had to make some periodic trips to my worksite which made it kind of a pain to have to leave my vacation for that, but as of last month I had been fully retired over 5 years. Now I never have to leave and don't ever plan to. That near-perfect southern California coastal climate came with a price tag that my retirement would not cover so handsomely. I am stuck here with beans, tortillas, cocteles de camarrones, micheladas, and the occasional margarita. It is almost too much to bear. Did we make mistakes, Dawg? Should have listened to our friends, I guess. Just how much good-life can one handle?
Back to top Go down
https://amigo.forumotion.com/
Hound Dog
Amigo
Hound Dog

Louisiana - 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Louisiana - 2011   Louisiana - 2011 EmptySat 03 Sep 2011, 13:56

[quote="Peter"]
Wouldn't you be missing that New Orleans and Alabama weather about now Dawg? Besides for the rain wouldn't the outdoor temperature be somewhat like a steam bath? You have to pay something here for the luxury of using a steambath and there it is free, everyday. I believe the rain you speak of, perhaps when not coming down in sheets but perhaps then even so, that's like a nice warm shower, no?
quote]

September is the worst month of the year weather-wise in Coastal Alabama and New Orleans is even worse at this time of year. New Orleans is so unbearably sultry from about mid-April to mid-October, it´s the only place I know of where one actually showers twice. Once while actually in the shower and then a second time during and after drying off while sweating profusely as would be expected in New Orleans with a towel that has mildewed overnight in the linen closet. During this time of the year when it seems the long, hot summer will never end and the sky is a leaden grey which one eventually learns does not necessarily signal imminent warm tropical showers or thunderbumpers, even the giant cockroaches so fond of the New Orleans climate can be seen trying to hitch rides to Canada.

Of course, here in Ajijic at 1,624 meters, in Morelia at 1,941 meters and San Cristóbal de Las Casas at 2,100 meters, we typically have cool and pleasant Septembers and, to be honest about it, at times it even seems a bit chilly in these highland places, especially on cloudy days threatening chipi-chipi as does today. That´s OK. I´ll take that over the New Orleans sauna anyday.

Even though I have dissed my heritage by living for years in San Francisco and Highland Jalisco and Chiapas, Dawg remains a true southerner, excuse me, Southerner, in many ways and so I was pleased to see the indomitable spirit of the Deep South live on as Tropical Storm Lee descends upon New Orleans simultaneously with the celebration of gay pride week in that city known locally by the extensive gay community there as "Southern Decadence Week", as the local gay freedom day parade and auxiliary activities go on as scheduled despite those "sheets" of rain predicted and the city is overrun with folks dressed to the nines in drag who would be known admiringly as "mariposas" in the far western reaches of the Isthmus of Tehuanatapec and Dawg must say that parades of guys in drag sure beats the hell out of parades of kluxers in sheets and brogans bearing crosses as was the scene a few years ago. The South shall rise again but perhaps a bit more eccentrically than envisioned by granddaddy in the 1930s.

Last edited by Hound Dog on Sat 03 Sep 2011, 15:29; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Peter
Amigo
Peter

Humor : Ironic

Louisiana - 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Louisiana - 2011   Louisiana - 2011 EmptySat 03 Sep 2011, 14:24

Hound Dog wrote:

...folks dressed to the nines in drag who would be known admiringly as "mariposas" in the southern reaches of the Isthmus of Tehuanatapec and Dawg must say that parades of guys in drag sure beats the hell out of parades of kluxers in sheets and brogans bearing crosses as was the scene a few years ago. The South shall rise again but perhaps a bit more eccentrically than envisioned by granddaddy in the 1930s.

"Mariposas" is how we refer to the Monarcas fútbol team during a losing season. "Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee" when they are winning as usual.

Quote :
"guys in drag sure beats the hell out of parades of kluxers in sheets and brogans bearing crosses"

Kind of the reverse of who was beating the hell out of who they way I used to remember it happening. A rather eccentric arousal these days, to be sure. The beat goes on.
Back to top Go down
https://amigo.forumotion.com/
Sponsored content

Louisiana - 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Louisiana - 2011   Louisiana - 2011 Empty

Back to top Go down

Louisiana - 2011
Page 1 of 1