All Mexico Info Group Oracle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Arconorte Autopista Open and Discount Daily Flights GDL-Tuxt

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Peter
Amigo
Peter

Humor : Ironic

Arconorte Autopista Open and Discount Daily Flights GDL-Tuxt Empty
PostSubject: Arconorte Autopista Open and Discount Daily Flights GDL-Tuxt   Arconorte Autopista Open and Discount Daily Flights GDL-Tuxt EmptyWed 23 Mar 2011, 20:00

Hound Dog wrote:

By the way, we were in Chiapa de Corzo because we were returning from the Tuxtla Gutierrez airport to San Cristóbal de Las Casas after picking up friends arriving on the new daily non-stop flights between Guadalajara and Tuxtla Gutierrez on the discount airline Vivaaerobus. Now that the Arco Norte Autopista has been opened allowing travelers from Michoacan and Jalisco to bypass Mexico City when driving to Chiapas and this discount airline has a non-stop flight between Guadalajara and Tuxtla Gutierrez, this trip to the Chiapas paradise is a dream.

That makes the travel sound much easier with both those. If it were me living 6/6mos. in Chiapas and Ajijic I would be inclined to keep a vehicle on both sides and fly in-between. That would tend to limit just when I wanted to be where for whatever reason.

Any idea how many flights per day, how much it costs? What were your friends' flight schedule?
Back to top Go down
https://amigo.forumotion.com/
Hound Dog
Amigo
Hound Dog

PostSubject: Re: Arconorte Autopista Open and Discount Daily Flights GDL-Tuxt   Arconorte Autopista Open and Discount Daily Flights GDL-Tuxt EmptyFri 25 Mar 2011, 19:05

Peter wrote:
Hound Dog wrote:

By the way, we were in Chiapa de Corzo because we were returning from the Tuxtla Gutierrez airport to San Cristóbal de Las Casas after picking up friends arriving on the new daily non-stop flights between Guadalajara and Tuxtla Gutierrez on the discount airline Vivaaerobus. Now that the Arco Norte Autopista has been opened allowing travelers from Michoacan and Jalisco to bypass Mexico City when driving to Chiapas and this discount airline has a non-stop flight between Guadalajara and Tuxtla Gutierrez, this trip to the Chiapas paradise is a dream.

That makes the travel sound much easier with both those. If it were me living 6/6mos. in Chiapas and Ajijic I would be inclined to keep a vehicle on both sides and fly in-between. That would tend to limit just when I wanted to be where for whatever reason.

Any idea how many flights per day, how much it costs? What were your friends' flight schedule?

An interesting and seriously important qiuestion, Peter:

The response is not so simple but let me try:

The new Vivaaerobus flight is a midday flight leaving Guadalajara at about 11:45AM daily and arriving nonstop in Tuxtla Gutierrez two hours later. The return flight seems to be at mid-afternoon and must arrive in Guadalajara a couple of hours later but who knows what that will be if one wishes to take these flights in the future.

One needs a car at Lakeside but one does not need a car in San Cristóbal de Las casas.

Life is way more complicated than this but that´s it for me.
Back to top Go down
Peter
Amigo
Peter

PostSubject: Re: Arconorte Autopista Open and Discount Daily Flights GDL-Tuxt   Arconorte Autopista Open and Discount Daily Flights GDL-Tuxt EmptyFri 25 Mar 2011, 19:31

So I have noticed, a personal car is needed at Lakeside. Seems odd since the majority of the several towns and villages there are all within a few blocks of one highway that passes through the middle of it all and could easily be serviced by public transportation. Gringo towns are the same in that respect NOB or SOB, all gotta hava car.

I still haven't got 14k miles on my over 4 year-old camionetta. One year living in the Centro and I used the car about 5 times to make two trips to Ajijic, two to the coast, and one trip to Chedraui to buy a new washing machine when we moved in there. Having a car in Morelia Centro is more liability than asset. Now that I'm back living in the 'burbs I'm once again driving it at least once a week or more.

Odd thing about Ajijic, among several I figure, all their taxis are yellow. Only place in Mexico I see pure yellow taxis.
Back to top Go down
cheenagringo
Amigo
cheenagringo

Job/hobbies : Importing Quality Mexican Products

PostSubject: Re: Arconorte Autopista Open and Discount Daily Flights GDL-Tuxt   Arconorte Autopista Open and Discount Daily Flights GDL-Tuxt EmptyFri 25 Mar 2011, 20:38

Peter:

I think if you were to do a survey of the car owners In the Lake Chapala area, you would find that many if not most of them never drive anywhere except in the local community. Most are scared to death to drive into Guadalajara! After all, why drive in there and possibly learn something new? I personally know someone who just had their vehicle totally renovated at the Lake but that same vehicle had not had 100 miles put on it in the 6 months prior and will not have an additional 100 miles put on it in the next 6 months. But it provides a basis for bragging that he was able to get it done "so cheaply". After 3+ years of living in Chapala, this person has never driven into Guadalajara.

As for the "yellow cab" phenomenon in the Lake area - I would guess that some sharp operator that returned from NOB figured out that it would be a good move making the Gringos comfortable with the Yellow Cab concept!
Back to top Go down
http://Coming Soon: www.HaciendaMagnifico.com
Peter
Amigo
Peter

PostSubject: Re: Arconorte Autopista Open and Discount Daily Flights GDL-Tuxt   Arconorte Autopista Open and Discount Daily Flights GDL-Tuxt EmptyFri 25 Mar 2011, 21:12

Having driven in Guadalajara on only a couple occasions I would want to avoid it when possible. Living Oxnard/Ventura I had the same attitude about going to Los Angeles, just rather avoid it when possible, though I used to drive into San fernando Valley every Wednesday night in the 70's to cruise Van Nuys Blvd. It is more a matter of the traffic and my impatient nature more than any reason for that.

In Morelia Centro it is a matter of parking, there ain't any. While living there we just walked or used public transportation, then used the SUV for taking trips. I am living just inside the beltway and that makes it easy to get around. However, if I need to go into the Centro I take a cab or combi.
Back to top Go down
cheenagringo
Amigo
cheenagringo

Job/hobbies : Importing Quality Mexican Products

PostSubject: Re: Arconorte Autopista Open and Discount Daily Flights GDL-Tuxt   Arconorte Autopista Open and Discount Daily Flights GDL-Tuxt EmptyFri 25 Mar 2011, 21:58

Interesting point Peter! Going back to the late 90's when we first had the home built near Lake Chapala, we felt comfortable driving into Tlaquepaque or Tonala but if we wanted to go deeper into the City, we would park and take a taxi. One trip down, I became frustrated with not being able to find some hardware item for the house. Someone told me about a store called Home Mart that was supposed to be like Home Depot NOB. I said the heck with it and left Kathy shopping in Tlaquepaque and decided that I could do this on my own. Sure I made a few wrong turns but I found out that it really wasn't that much of a challenge and certainly not the least bit intimidating. From that experience, I concluded that driving in MX was no more difficult than anywhere else and it was just that the "rules"were a bit different!
Back to top Go down
http://Coming Soon: www.HaciendaMagnifico.com
Hound Dog
Amigo
Hound Dog

PostSubject: Re: Arconorte Autopista Open and Discount Daily Flights GDL-Tuxt   Arconorte Autopista Open and Discount Daily Flights GDL-Tuxt EmptyMon 04 Apr 2011, 23:50

Peter wrote:

Peter:

The nonstop Guadalajara-Tuxtla Gutierrez flight on Vivaaerobus turned out to be the inaugural one and took about two hours each way. The return to Guadalajara turned out to be a night flight leaving Tuxtla at 9:00PM and arriving in Guadalajara at about 11:00PM but my friends, who are cursed with living in Northern Idaho and flying out of Spokane (shudder), were highly impressed with the airline and equipment. There is only one class of service and they were quite taken with the great leg room and uncrowded seating as well as the service on board. I have forgotten the price they paid but one can look up the price on the airline´s web site. This is now a great way to get from the Jalisco/Michoacan area to Chiapas so I hope they succeed.

Both the Guadalajara and Tuxtla Gutierrez airports are easy and fun to use and avoiding a plane change in Mexico City should make up for any inconvenience folks reasonably close to the Guadalajara airport might experience getting there.

As far as keeping vehicles in both Jalisco and Chiapas, that is not practical for us as we transport three dogs back and forth and, while one really needs a car at Lakeside in our view, we rarely use the car in San Cristóbal except when we go on road trips as San Cristóbal is a fairly compact walker´s town with a parking problem probably not dissimilar to that in Morelia´s centro although San Cristóbal is a much smaller city. Add to the fact that San Cristóbal is a walker´s burg the fact that all taxi rides in the city are unmetered and $25 Pesos no matter your destination and the car gets a rest after the somewhat arduous if splendidly scenic drive down here from Lake Chapala. In fact, when we return this year to the lake we plan to repeat that interesting trip from Zihuatanejo to Chapala coming up from the Oaxaca coast which will add substantial driving time to the journey but give our dogs a couple of days to play on the beaches from Huatulco to Playa Los Troncones and give us an opportunity to try that goat restaurant in Nueva Italia that you were raving about.

Incidentally, we took our Idaho friends on the required tour of Palenque and Toniná as well as the requisite tours of the back woods high mountain Zapatista villages near San Cristóbal and they were blown away at the spectacular beauty of the mountains, high alpine forests and low lying stunning jungles around Palenque, Agua Azul and Misol Ha. We presented my long-time friend who went to high school with me in the swamps of South Alabama with an E.Z.L.N. T-shirt with which to shock his bumpkin friends in the Idaho outback when he returns there and he was delighted just at contemplating wearing that shirt to ole Billy Bob´s coffee shop at his first opportunity.

Back to top Go down
Peter
Amigo
Peter

PostSubject: Re: Arconorte Autopista Open and Discount Daily Flights GDL-Tuxt   Arconorte Autopista Open and Discount Daily Flights GDL-Tuxt EmptyTue 05 Apr 2011, 09:55

Hound Dog wrote:
Peter wrote:

Peter:

As far as keeping vehicles in both Jalisco and Chiapas, that is not practical for us as we transport three dogs back and forth

Good point about your canine companions. Even with discounted airfare it would be cost prohibitive to buy them three additional seats. Looks like you have to make the drive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Arconorte Autopista Open and Discount Daily Flights GDL-Tuxt   Arconorte Autopista Open and Discount Daily Flights GDL-Tuxt Empty

Back to top Go down

Arconorte Autopista Open and Discount Daily Flights GDL-Tuxt
Page 1 of 1