All Mexico Info Group Oracle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All Mexico Info Group Oracle

Information, discussions, attractions, and activities in México with a focus on Michoacán, El Alma de México.

HomeHome  PreviewPreview  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Marimbas Nandayapa

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hound Dog
Amigo
Hound Dog

Marimbas Nandayapa Empty
PostMarimbas Nandayapa

As most with a passing acquaintance with Chiapas know, the state is famous for marimbas and marimba music so Peter asked that while we spend our winter months in that state which is our habit, we see if we could locate a good source from which he could contemplate purchasing a custom made marimba and, fortuitously, yesterday we were in the charming colonial town of Chiapa de Corzo visiting the maestra de lacquer (for which that town is famed), Martha Vargas Molina, to discuss with her her upcoming possible participation in next November´s Maestros del Arte Fair in Chapala and, while there, asked for her recommendation as to the best place in Chiapas to have a marimba manufactured to order. Upon her recommendation, we visited the shop (and marimba museum) of Ing. Carlos Nandayapa Vargas whose Marimbas Nandayapa is locally famed for the superior marimbas they make to order in their gorgeous facility overlooking the beautiful Grijalva River. Their address is Av. Independencia #38 in Chiapa de Corzo, Chiapas (CP 29160); TEL: (951) 616 0012; (cnandayapa@yahoo.com) and we recommend Peter or anyone else interested in purchasing a made-to-order marimba give Sr. Nandayapa a call.

By the way, we were in Chiapa de Corzo because we were returning from the Tuxtla Gutierrez airport to San Cristóbal de Las Casas after picking up friends arriving on the new daily non-stop flights between Guadalajara and Tuxtla Gutierrez on the discount airline Vivaaerobus. Now that the Arco Norte Autopista has been opened allowing travelers from Michoacan and Jalisco to bypass Mexico City when driving to Chiapas and this discount airline has a non-stop flight between Guadalajara and Tuxtla Gutierrez, this trip to the Chiapas paradise is a dream.
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Marimbas Nandayapa :: Comments

Peter
Re: Marimbas Nandayapa
Post Wed 23 Mar 2011, 19:50 by Peter
Hound Dog wrote:
As most with a passing acquaintance with Chiapas know, the state is famous for marimbas and marimba music so Peter asked that while we spend our winter months in that state which is our habit, we see if we could locate a good source from which he could contemplate purchasing a custom made marimba and, fortuitously, yesterday we were in the charming colonial town of Chiapa de Corzo visiting the maestra de lacquer (for which that town is famed), Martha Vargas Molina, to discuss with her her upcoming possible participation in next November´s Maestros del Arte Fair in Chapala and, while there, asked for her recommendation as to the best place in Chiapas to have a marimba manufactured to order. Upon her recommendation, we visited the shop (and marimba museum) of Ing. Carlos Nandayapa Vargas whose Marimbas Nandayapa is locally famed for the superior marimbas they make to order in their gorgeous facility overlooking the beautiful Grijalva River. Their address is Av. Independencia #38 in Chiapa de Corzo, Chiapas (CP 29160); TEL: (951) 616 0012; (cnandayapa@yahoo.com) and we recommend Peter or anyone else interested in purchasing a made-to-order marimba give Sr. Nandayapa a call.

Thanks for looking into that, Dawg. It appears he has a US e-address, not seeing .mx attached to the .com so could assume he speaks some English, perhaps? That looks like the best way to contact them. Logistics is the biggest problem with buying a marimba, having a way to pay for it and having it shipped.

A plain-old marimba would suit me best, most likely. I have room for it on a covered patio area, one most suitable for outdoor use. With primavera upon us I need an outdoor instrument to play in the cooler outside air. The electronics and key mechanisms in my keyboards don't like the outdoors. Marimbas do fine for that.
Hound Dog
Post Fri 25 Mar 2011, 07:58 by Hound Dog
I don´t know whether or not he speaks any English as my wife visited with him and spoke only Spanish with him. He did indicate that me can make a a marimba according to your specifications in any size or with any special features you desire.

That inquiry reminds me of another Chiapas artisan my wife contacted a while back who had the most professional looking business cards you can imagine including an e-mail address that, as it turned out when she tried to e-mail him there, was non-existent. When she next saw him and inquired as to why he had a non-existent e-mail address on his business cards, he responded that he had been told that having an e-mail address was important for his business image so he made one up and included it but saw no reason to actually establish an e-mail address since he would never use it anyway.
Peter
Post Fri 25 Mar 2011, 08:25 by Peter
Could be a similar reason there as he had a .com address with no mx on it. I haven't tried it yet.

I would have no idea about special features for a marimba, one reason for wanting one is for their simplicity. I don't think they go out of tune easily.
Don Cuevas
Post Fri 25 Mar 2011, 09:43 by Don Cuevas
There IS a working website!
http://www.nandayapa.com/en/index.htm

The Audio and Video samples don't work.

The site is more about the band than the crafting of marimbas

I've never seen less than 3 guys playing a marimba. Is Peter going to be recruiting FWB members to play? Surprised
Hound Dog
Post Fri 25 Mar 2011, 10:34 by Hound Dog
The Nandayapa is the most common and famous name for marimba players and makers. There are lots of Nandayapas. The man I spoke to is famous all over the place for building marimbas.
He builds them from very small to very large and ships them as well.
I find that the best way to deal with any of the artisans is
from person to person via telephone and e-mail is a last resort. Good for placing orders or confirming specifictions for orders but the phone is way better.

Brigitte

Last edited by Hound Dog on Fri 25 Mar 2011, 17:37; edited 2 times in total
Peter
Post Fri 25 Mar 2011, 11:01 by Peter
Thanks Brigitte. You are correct about personal contacts. I am quite linguistically-challenged here and especially so over the telephone, not having physical cues to fill-in conversation gaps. I see little opportunity to resolve such difficulties as even payment for such purchase at this distance would be difficult.

Perhaps such day as we may visit Chiapas my desire to acquire a marimba may have to wait until then. I have not found such instruments available for purchase here in Morelia or my other places for visitation. I am still very much in the dark about what I should expect to pay for a marimba and was hoping for some basic information as that.

My needs for a marimba, as I mentioned earlier, is to place it on one of my covered patio decks for my use there. They are somewhat stationary instruments and could take-up a great deal of space and their portability is limited. For those reasons it likely would not be in my interest to have one custom-made as it is to be a partially outdoor instrument, and my familiarity with such is limited only to basic keyboard knowledge so therefore have no idea what "special features" may be available and which I may want. I'm really just seeking an old but playable standard layout design of medium size. Probably what I am looking for will come along if I wait for it.

Thanks for the information provided. I envy you folks there in marimba central as Michoacán has an over-abundance of out-of-tune violins. Marimbas, thankfully, compensate for any tuning deficiencies by being "fixed" in that respect.
Hound Dog
Post Fri 25 Mar 2011, 18:03 by Hound Dog
Peter wrote:
....Thanks (Brigitte) for the information provided. I envy you folks there in marimba central as Michoacán has an over-abundance of out-of-tune violins. Marimbas, thankfully, compensate for any tuning deficiencies by being "fixed" in that respect.

Since, Peter, anyone reading this far on a subject of such narrow scope indicates more than a passing interest in marimbas and marimba music, I thought I might pass on a little more information to the reader about marimba music in Chiapas. As far as I know, the marimba is a common instrument in Central America but in Mexico is usually only heard often in Chiapas and, perhaps, Oaxaca and Yucatan states. Well, OK, maybe Quintana Roo as well. In Chiapas, municipal marimba orchestras are commonplace and I am often treated to concerts by the San Cristóbal municipal marimba orchestra at random on my frequent morning doggy walks to the central plaza where live band concerts are often held. However, if one wants to be assured of marimba music in a festive atmosphere, I recommend attendance at the Sunday afternoon marimba concerts at the Marimba Park in central Tuxtla Gutierrez which is always a fun event and held with regularity. This attractive, leafy park is a pleasure and is surrounded by fun places for a cold beer or ice cream or other treats including full meals and the concerts are well attended and festive. In fact, the Chiapas state capital of Tuxtla Gutierrez, while much maligned by the unaware, is a fun town with some beautiful scenic vistas and lots of very good restaurants so, while most tourists pass through the state capital en route to other sights in splendid Chiapas burdened with the notion that that city is unworthy of a serious visit, their disdain for this boomtown city of many charms is their loss. No skin off my back.
Dave and Rosy
Post Fri 25 Mar 2011, 21:43 by Dave and Rosy
Quote :
if one wants to be assured of marimba music in a festive atmosphere, I recommend attendance at the

La Fonda Restaurant in Xalapa, VER where a small propina will increase noticeably the volume and tempo of the fiesta of music coming from the band across the street... a balcony seat will assure you of fun music and good food...
t210021
Marimbas Nandayapa
Post Thu 21 Jul 2011, 21:28 by t210021
For nearly a century, the Nandayapa family of Chiapa de Corzo has designed and built some of the finest and most sought-after marimba instruments in the world. The marimbas come in all sizes, including 8-foot, 6.5-octave concert masters, and their intricate adornment makes each one as much a piece of art as a musical instrument.

The family home doubles as its workshop (Av. Independencia 36, tel. 961/616-0012, cnandayapa [at] yahoo [dot] com) and visitors are offered hour-long presentations on marimba history, construction, and music, including a short concert. Unfortunately, the workshop is open only to groups with advance appointments; there are plans for drop-in hours, but nothing definite.

Carlos Nandayapa Vargas is the current point person; he speaks Spanish, English, and Italian, and may be able to include independent travelers (US$2.50 pp) in an already-scheduled group.
Post  by Sponsored content

Marimbas Nandayapa

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All Mexico Info Group Oracle :: Regional Sections of Mexico :: Estados Unidos Mexicanos - the Whole Enchilada-
Jump to: